Super smiles are forged with safety in mind. If you would like a super smile, our dental superheroes at Ravago Dental await your visit to fly into action and give you the smile makeover you desire. However, we may not be able to be around at all the times, but fortunately, there are many bad habits you can avoid to protect your teeth and gums.
Bad habits in your oral health can ruin even the best of smiles. Practice these safe techniques to protect yourself:
– Avoid hard food products that can chip or crack teeth, such as corn on the cob, candy apples, hard candy, or ice.
– Snacking constantly can put your teeth at a greater risk for tooth decay or gum disease. Try to avoid snacks in between meals.
– Smoking or chewing tobacco increases risk for gum disease and oral cancer.
– Do not open anything with your teeth. Even bottle caps can crack or chip teeth.
– It is wise to avoid products packed with sugar. These includes sodas, sports drinks, fruit juices, or candies. The bacteria in your mouth converts the sugar into harmful acids which can eat away at tooth enamel.
– Chewing on pencils, nails, pen caps, or similar non-edible products can damage teeth and gums.
– Lip and tongue piercings can chip or crack teeth, introduce harmful bacteria to your mouth, or even increase your risk for infection to your gums.
– Playing contact sports or high-risk activities without proper mouth guards can increase your risk for oral accidents.
– If you grind your teeth in your sleep or while you are stressed, you can wear your teeth down over time.
To learn more about what you can do to protect your teeth and gums, please contact our team of dentists at Ravago Dental by calling our office at 505.292.6414 . We are conveniently located in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and want to help make your smile the best it can be. To schedule an appointment or oral exam with Dr. Melissa Ravago, please call us today.